Driving out past McGregor Point this morning I spotted some spray off the shore. We quickly pulled over at the lookout and were able to watch at least three whales playing in the bay. A bit like spotting the Loch Ness Monster, this is the best picture I've got. The two white spots are from the whales' spouts. We both did finally get to see the tops of the whales swimming with higher magnification binoculars. It was very cool!

We decided to stop in at the Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum. The sugar cane crop is #1 in Maui. Learning about the way that engineers have rerouted the waters from the mountains in order to irrigate the crops was very interesting. There are trenches and irrigations pipes all over the place!

The migrant workers who were on the sugar plantations had the highest quality of life of all migrant workers. Of course, they were also served "planter's plunch" on breaks...nice.

Three products of the mill are raw sugar, bagasse, and molasses. Bagasse is returned to the mill for use as fuel. Most of the molasses is mixed with cattle feed.

This is the claw that grabs the sugar cane for loading into trucks.

One thing I'm starting to discover is that fast food restaurants will alter their menus in order to accomodate the locals. This McDonald's serves breakfast platters with SPAM, rice, and Portuguese sausage. They also have banana pies all day.


We decided to stop in at the Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum. The sugar cane crop is #1 in Maui. Learning about the way that engineers have rerouted the waters from the mountains in order to irrigate the crops was very interesting. There are trenches and irrigations pipes all over the place!

The migrant workers who were on the sugar plantations had the highest quality of life of all migrant workers. Of course, they were also served "planter's plunch" on breaks...nice.
Three products of the mill are raw sugar, bagasse, and molasses. Bagasse is returned to the mill for use as fuel. Most of the molasses is mixed with cattle feed.


This is the claw that grabs the sugar cane for loading into trucks.

One thing I'm starting to discover is that fast food restaurants will alter their menus in order to accomodate the locals. This McDonald's serves breakfast platters with SPAM, rice, and Portuguese sausage. They also have banana pies all day.


2 comments:
So did you partake in local activities lie....SPAM eating?
I think I accidentally had some sort of SPAM casserole at our breakfast buffet. That's as far as I went for the SPAM!
Post a Comment