Friday, January 11, 2008

Day 3- Atlantis

The ocean- I respect it, it can kill me; therefore, I'm not a big fan of boats or other water activites. Snorkeling was definitely out of the question, but we found an alternative- "Atlantis". This was a 48 passenger submarine that took us 135 ft under water past 3 reefs and a sunken ship so that we could see the marine-life up close and dry:) We rode out in another boat to the dive site and I was regretting not having bought some Dramamine. "Ok, position myself so I rock front to back not side to side, pick a focal point, don't talk, don't move." Ugh! Kerry tried talking to me and when I didn't answer, he looked over at my somber face and just giggled. Oh yeah, my motion sickness is real funny, thrill boy. (I'm jealous of his equilibrium.)
I must say, though, that the view from out here was amazing! The water was a gorgeous sapphire blue. So, now I'm thinking the phrase "deep blue sea" actually refers to the color not the depth of the ocean:)I loved the views of the West Maui Mountains. Although much smaller than the 10,000+ foot summit of Mount Haleakala, these mountains are steeper and (I believe) more beautiful. There was a constant cloud cover over the mountains here. Kerry would say, "I keep thinking it's about to storm." But the clouds never left the peaks of the mountains. We learned that this area is the second wettest spot on the earth, receiving over 400 inches of rainfall annually!
There's our sub popping out of the water! The tugboat "Roxie" brought the Atlantis submarine over to meet us for transfer.


From back to front we have the Roxy, the Atlantis, and Kerry on the shuttle boat.
After transferring to the submarine we had one passenger jump ship to head back to land, then it was time to dive.
The Atlantis Adventures company acquired the "Carthaginian" for $1.04 and sunk it in 95 feet of water in December 2005. It is now anchored to the bottom and acts as an artificial reef.
On the bottom, give or take a foot.











1 comment:

Erin said...

I still can't believe you chose this vacation with your fear of the ocean! I can recommend some land locked spots for your next trip!

Loving the views from your photos.