Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Titan's Curse

Bryce likes to read. He reads fast, too. I kept encouraging him to read bigger books, series books, something that was more on his level. Then I bought him "The Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan. Bryce had seen it at the school book fair and thought the summary was interesting. Little did I know this book would send him off on a reading binge. I surprised him with the 378 page book when I picked him up from school around 3:00. He had finished reading it before lunchtime at school the next day (12:20)!

Bryce has also discovered the Artemis Fowl book series as well as others. As Gram would say, "He is a voracious reader!" On TAKS testing days he brings books to fill in the extra time after he has finished his test. Last time he brought 4 books, including one from a 3000 level college English class that I took, and read them all twice. So he took his standardized Science test, had lunch, and read the equivalent of 8 books before 1:00, at which time the teachers decided to ignore the "no recess on TAKS days" rule and take the children outside (by then all the children had finished their tests).

Uncle Trey had called from the land of the nuclear scientists living in the middle of nowhere and asked for suggestions for Bryce's birthday. Aha! The new Rick Riordan book, "The Titan's Curse", is coming out May 1. So he jumped online and ordered it for Bryce. On May 2 Bryce received a shipment from Barnes & Noble. This was his reaction.
"Uh, is this what I think it is?"
"This book isn't even out yet."
Actually, it came out yesterday.
"Wow! That's some fast shipping."

"Thank you, Uncle Trey!"

1 comment:

Erin said...

Ok, so my husband and your 11 year old may have a lot to talk about. He's upset that I preordered the last Harry Potter book because he can get it faster by going out to the store rather than waiting for the mailman!

He too will read a book until it's done...nonstop. And if it's a series, we're in trouble because he's got to read them all one after the other. He's only done Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket. I have been meaning to get him Artemis Fowl to see what he thinks. I figure that's better than his staying up all night watching DVDs of 24, Sopranos, or the Shield (again, he has to watcha ll the episodes on the disc in one night).

I need Bryce to put together a summer reading list for me!