Tuesday, June 17, 2008

New Plants in the Garden

My sister-in-law gave me a variety of bulbs for my birthday last year, a very thoughtful gift considering my love of gardening. I planted them all in pots everywhere and was excited to see all the growth throughout the spring. Unfortunately, none of them bloomed. My greenest friend suggested it was because they needed to be refrigerated first. So, I'm noting that for next year's bulbs. Happily, I went outside recently to find that two had actually bloomed!
I also decided to try out some grapes for the center column and some Clematis for the other end column.

I went online to find out exactly what I needed to do to transfer the new plants. Usually, I just wing it and hope for the best; but I really hate losing plants and those Clematis were pricey! I came across a whole society of Clematis lovers out there. It made me a little nervous, though, because they seem to be a little fragile and this Texas heat (breaking 100 in May!) can be a killer on my garden.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Love Clematis!!! I don't know much about it but was thinking I'd try my hand at growing it. There is one variety that I've read can grow ON your roses and it'll bloom in the opposite season of the roses...neat

Ok, so what's the flower that's not the iris? My g-ma digs up the bulbs, and hangs them in old pantyhose legs in the shed after blooming.

Glad you're back in the blog. Looking forward to hot Austin updates.