Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Barbie Car

Ian loves cars. That's a fact. And he really doesn't discriminate; if it has wheels, he wants it. I saw this happen to a degree with Bryce and Max, too. For them it was fire trucks and trains respectively. Ian really likes Thomas and all his train stuff, too; but his obsession with cars runs deep! He's already worn out 2 "Cars" DVDs from watching them nonstop at various times. I have a theory that our boys' obsessions with cars and balls and action figures stems from the ancient DNA still in their blood programming them to chase things, throw spears, and be hunters. I think this same ancient DNA in our girls is what draws them to play with dolls, tea sets, and play houses. With that in mind I believe that active physical play among boys helps to an extent to keep them from beating the hell out of each other. So bring on the fast cars, I say!
When shopping at Good Will for a school project costume Ian spotted a car and had to have it. It was the only car in the whole store, it was big, and it was only $1.99. Sounds good. Except that it was a Pepto Bismol pink Barbie VW Beetle. Ian (not so secretly) really likes the color pink, too. When he sees bright colors and patterns he'll point and say, "Look! That's fun!" Ian is a fun-seeker so I'm not surprised that he always wants the pink or purple-wrapped foods at the grocery or that he was drawn to the Barbie-mobile. I found this to be a win/win situation and got the car...to every other family member's dismay.

1 comment:

Erin said...

so to what evolution of DNA do you attribute his association of pink with fun???

I love it!